background

Saturday, June 5, 2010

TTC History part 1: *edit: had my years wrong!

When I discover a new IF blogger my first thing I love to do is read their TTC history. The second is when they have (and I truly pray for those that I read, will indeed) get pregnant and what they were doing at that point. So, I decided that although I have my history in different posts, I want to do what I love to see, it all listed out together in one place! Here we go:

-From the age of 13-18: I had a small amount of periods...sooooo spread out and soooo irregular! My regular OBGYN said it was because I was so active with my running that it was normal and puts me on the pill (makes me sad to look back and see that I could have been working with helping my PCOS as opposed to masking it...but I was naive and didn't know any better, besides I wasn't on the pill to prevent pregnancy so I figured there was nothing wrong).

-June '07: We get married. I immediately STOP the pill because I knew what it would do if we were to conceive on it. I think about how neat it would be to have a honeymoon baby and get to work on that! ;)

-August '07: Haven't had a period since before my wedding and although I know it's because there is something wrong with me, I still put myself through the torture of POAS because, once again, I think how neat it would be to be pregnant this early into our marriage! I go back to my old OBGYN, yes the one that prescribed the pill, and ask what's going on with me?! They say there's nothing wrong, I should have stayed on the pill to regulate my periods but that they will try this stuff called prometrium to help me "jump start" my periods each month.

-January '08: This month we go back to them and say there's got to be something wrong and would like them to run some tests to see what's going on with my body. I wasn't a snooty little newly wed upset that I wasn't pregnant by then (I knew we had just gotten married!) but I knew there was something wrong. Call it woman's intuition I guess (oh yeah, and the lack of periods without medicine!). He checks my uterus and tubes (ouch..dye test is SO not fun!). However, he simply rules out PCOS because I'm "too thin, my boobs are too big" and decides that Clomid helps some people to get pregnant so we try this for a few months.

-February, March and April '08: I am blindly given this so called magical drug that helps people to get pregnant. And don't worry, I definitely made sure that it was OK with the Church's teachings first. They say to take it so many days after I start my period and then come in for a blood test a week or so later. I knew NOTHING about what was going on or why they were doing what they were doing. They didn't explain the importance of timing of anything. Looking back it makes me mad that time was wasted on this because they didn't follow up thoroughly enough. Yeah, I suppose I should have asked but I was in denial that there was something wrong. I wanted so badly for it to be easy where all I would have to do is take this medicine and bam...pregnant.

-May '08: Not pregnant and feeling rather defeated. Especially since my doctor tells me that I have "issues" and that they can't help me and that I needed to see a RE. My world is broken and nothing seems to be as devastating as hearing this. Oh wait, the day after I am told that I'm broken, the nice (ha, yeah right) doctor calls and tells me, "Goodluck...call me when you are pregnant and I'll deliver!" Yeah right like I was going to call them...they had done nothing for me! They hadn't run more tests to see what could be wrong. There was no way I was ever going back to them.

-June '08: One year anniversary. We are literally taken to dinner by two different sets of friends because they had bet that we would totally be pregnant before our one year anniversary. We were just "that" couple who would be popping kids out left and right! I wish. Both friends said if not,(we figured we would win either way: free food if not, baby is so!) then they had to treat us to any dinner we chose. On our wedding day this little bet seemed cute and innocent enough. This time, going to dinner with them wasn't quite the fun I had expected. I really wanted a baby.

-July '08: Discuss with my friend about how we were struggling but don't go into details. (I've mentioned this next part in my first post but thought I would repeat so it's all together now). She refers us to an amazing OBYGN who is Catholic and helps women that deal with fertility issues. We feel SOOO excited and hopeful about this!

-August '08: We finally are able to meet with this amazing Catholic doctor. He tells us he is going to run some tests and wants us to start charting. I had heard about charting but had never really thought about it. The first thing he says from simply hearing my history so far, "I think it's PCOS but I want to run tests first."

-So the testing and charting begins immediately following that first appointment...


I would totally continue to write out the entire history, but writing it out in a sort of (detailed, sorry sometimes I ramble on and on and on...) time line is taking way more time than I intended and I have stuff to do. So this is part 1 and I'll write out part 2 another time.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow."

8 comments:

Hebrews 11:1 said...

Thanks for sharing your journey, I look forward to reading more! We were also married in June of '08. :-)

Amy @ This Cross I Embrace said...

I am not quite sure why I've never seen your blog before, but I'm glad that situation was rectified today! :)

Great history so far, can't wait to read more... just a quick question, are your years mixed up in the history, I noticed you say in your profile you are married almost 3 years.

If you like reading histories you can have a ball on my sidebar, just make sure you have a good 45 minutes of free reading time, lol!

Faith makes things possible said...

Hebrews: When in June? We were actually married June of '07! 6/9/07 to be exact! June's a good year!!

TCIE: Thanks for telling me about the years. I guess I accidentally typed '08 at the beginning and that messed up everything! Thanks for noticing! :)

I love to read histories so of course I'll read yours! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog :). Congrats on your upcoming Anniversary!

It's always so frustrating to read how many women were basically ignored by their doctors :(.

Anonymous said...

I love to hear peoples stories! I am always amazed at how many things i have in common with other people! Great post, I may steal this idea in a future post for me! :)

Joy Beyond the Cross said...

Thanks for sharing your story and congratulations on your upcoming anniversary! (My sister got married on 6/9/07 as well - a great day indeed!). I liked your quote at the end. I look forward to reading the 2nd installment! :) God Bless and have a great week!

Hebrews 11:1 said...

We were married June 28th '08. Coming up on two years!

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

I will be praying for you! Btw, I love the quote about courage. Very true....