background

Sunday, March 10, 2013

My period?! ***Update***

Quick question....

I have been spotting since delivering 4 weeks ago but it had been pretty light, no clots and pinkish.

But last night and today it's been bright red, a few small clots , heavier and accompanied by back aches and some cramping.

Could I have already started my period?

And how do you tell the difference between starting your cycle vs normal postpartum bleeding/spotting?!

***Update:
I called my doctor's office and they said that I should try and take it easy today because it's not normal for bleeding to pick up like I described. I told them that I am exclusively breastfeeding and they said it shouldn't be my period this soon BUT these cramps sure feel like period cramps and last night before bed all I could think about was a chocolate candy bar.

Now I'm suppose to call tomorrow if it doesn't slow down with taking it easy today but I really wonder if I'm just one of those ladies that starts (really really) early.

Hmm...still confused, so I suppose I'll see what happens today and go from there...

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

10 comments:

Kat said...

It does not sound like your period already. For it to truly be your period you have to recognize it as your period, you would have to note if it is normal for you. It sounds like the postpartum bleeding. If the clots are any bigger than a small egg, call your Dr. just to make sure everything is fine. You can also call your practitioner and let her know as well. Since you are only 4 weeks postpartum you probably aren't charting yet. Are you breast feeding? If so are you totally breast feeding, meaning all the baby's nourishment is only coming from you? If you are totally bfeeding then you should not have your period already.

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

Does not sound like a period to me. I would just give your doctor a call in the morning, to be sure. :)

Faith makes things possible said...

Thanks ladies! I thought it was probably too soon but I still wanted to get other opinions!

Cassi Mosher said...

Now see, I'm going to have to play devil's advocate here and say that my cycles have ALWAYS (4 pregnancies) returned prior to my six-week check, and that's with three of my babies being breastfed. So it's not impossible. If it will set your mind at ease, though, give the doctor a call. That's what he's there for. :)

Sarah said...

I would call your doctor to be sure, too. Post-partum bleeding should continue to get lighter, not heavier (at least that's my understanding).

Perfect Power in Weakness said...

Yeah, I'd probably call your doctor too. I think the bleeding is supposed to get lighter like some others mentioned.

Karey said...

My period came back at five weeks post partum, so it could be!

Anonymous said...

I was exclusively breastfeeding and got my first period about 5 weeks postpartum... I wasn't sure at first, but then it happened again about 4 weeks later and I figured out that it really was just my period starting back. So it is possible.

Lisa said...

I always had a lot of bleeding around 6-8 weeks out, and it has NOT ever been a period. The doctors have always said it was normal. I've breastfed 3 kids for 15+ months, and always get my period at 8 months. Even before I introduced solids in one case!

Anonymous said...

With my second, I had almost the exact experience you described - about 4 weeks of light bleeding, basically spotting by the end, and then a sudden return of much heavier, bright red bleeding. I freaked out and of course had the dr. check it out, but it turned out to be totally normal and was NOT my period returning - I didn't get my cycles back until 18 months later! So I guess there's no one way the postpartum gig goes.