background

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Perspective

This past week has been tough. Our once great sleeper has had some rough nights. Before she was going down around 8 and sleeping until 4 or 5, nursing and then back to sleep until 8.

But we are going on a week of some pretty tough nights.

Maybe it's a growth spurt...
Maybe it's the 3-4 month sleep regression...
Maybe it's teething...
Maybe she's needing to be weened from her swaddle...

Either way, last night was.the.worst.

Up every hour (or less!) needing comforting to settle.
Which means no sleep for me (she still sleeps in a bassinet in our room).

Around 3:00 I went to change her and nurse her and as I go to pull off her swaddle, I noticed the onesie my dh had put her in:



And it was at that moment, the moment of sheer exhaustion from this not really sleeping for nearly a week, the moment where my eyes burned from not being shut long enough to be refreshed, the moment where I was on the brink of tears desperately wishing my dh didn't work at night, that I saw the words, "I was so worth the wait!"

And it was then that my eyes filled with tears of joy instead of tears of exhaustion.
My heart swelled with joy looking at this precious miracle of ours.


Yes, somedays are hard.
Some nights are hard.
Somedays I feel like a rock star of a wife and mom.
Somedays I feel like a disaster and feel completely lost.
Somedays motherhood seems to come easily.
Somedays I struggle.

But one thing's for sure, I count my blessings in those good days and in those not so good days and look at her sweet little face and think, "yes my little one, you were so worth the wait!"

Im so glad my dh decided to put her in that onesie (first time she's worn it actually!!) because in the midst of this chaotic week, it helped me to take a deep breath, offer up a prayer and count my blessings.

It most certainly helped me to put things into perceptive.

9 comments:

imusthaveprayedforpatience said...

8 to 4?! I envy you! We've been in the up every 2-3 hours, sometimes up every hour, for the entire 6.5 months our little one has been here. No advice I can give. Hang in there!

Catholic Mutt said...

She is so beautiful. Obviously, no matter what, sleepness nights are hard. But it's nice to be reminded how much it's worth it.

Sew said...

I hate the 3-5-6ish months..Not gonna lie! HATE IT!

After 5-6 months it seems to get a lot easier...

Hang in their Momma! :)


Julie said...

Sleep was always rough with our special needs boy but he is so worth it!
Great reminder!! Although in the middle of the night, it is very hard to remember. I think our brains stop working from sleep deprivation

Hebrews 11:1 said...

I commiserate because C is the worst sleeper ever. They ARE worth it, for sure, but sleep deprivation is tough!

St. Rita's Roses said...

Yep, totally remeber goog.ling 4 month sleep regression with M b/c I was freaking out. it does pass.
thinking of you and LOVE the onesie

Unknown said...

My great sleeper has had her moments too and it is hard especially once I went back to work and she started waking up at night. She is such a doll!

Em said...

Such a beautiful attitude, and such a beautiful little girl!

I haven't commented for a long long time (although I still love your blog) - but, wanted to share that after almost 3 years if IF, I'm pregnant! :) Thanks for the continued inspiration and encouragement on this journey.

Faith makes things possible said...

Thanks for the encouragement ladies! I think we found the culprit...she's growing out of needing/wanting to be swaddled! So we are in the process of weaning her from it...one arm at a time! ;) So far, it seems to be working but I wont hold my breath just yet because it's only been 2 nights! So thankful to be getting more rest though!