background

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The nerve of some people

Begin rant:

I was at Costco today and in front of me was a rather young looking mom with her 5 kids.
2 walking.
2 in the cart.
1 in a baby sling.

And up walks a seemingly sweet ol' grandma.
Then I hear her say, "Oh my!!! Are they all yours?!"
To which the young mom responds, "They sure are!"

And then I walk by and the little old lady says, "Oh dear...she's not hers also, is she?!" [referring to my sweet one I was pushing.]
I laugh awkwardly and tell her that she's all mine!

Then...the lady looks at me and says, "Well it seems you need to teach HER how that happens."

Me and that mom just looked at each other completely shocked.

....

WTF?!

She said it so condescendingly and with such a rude look on her face! It threw me off and so I didn't have time to think of a clever remark so all I could say was, "Umm...I think she knows how that happens." The other mom said, "Hmm..must have missed that section in nursing school!"

We just walked off and I asked the mom if she gets that a lot to which she said yes but that that lady was ruder than the average commenter.

I just couldn't believe it-that rude lady proclaimed that loudly and in front of those kiddos-she doesn't know their story but I can bet you that that mom loves each one of her kids and wouldn't wish one of them away.

And me? Good grief, I hate that she looked at me as though I'm the "normal" one with my one baby. Looking back I wish I would have said, "Are you kidding me?! I only wish I was so blessed to have so many kids!" That lady obviously had no idea of our struggle to have that one, beautiful baby.

Hello rude lady, kids are a blessing and just because you think one is enough doesn't mean that others who have more are crazy.

You're crazy.

Some people need to learn to keep their comments to theirselves.

End rant.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

16 comments:

Sew said...

Oh man. So sad. Hardened hearts.

People say to me, boy you have your hands full! I say yes and it's a good thing, praise God! But I don't really understand the context of the comment and I don't want to assume but wth do you mean?

People even ask me if we are done....? I think it's crazy. Are we done? It makes me cry because I'm so excited for more, even though it makes me shake inside because pregnancy is so hard. LOL ha!

I love her comment about nursing school. LOL


Blessed Wife said...

Oh my! I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I have a cousin who has 4 children that were all born within 2 years and 8 months (she has one set of twins). I couldn't believe the things people would say to her (and they were usually older women!). I don't know what I would have done in your shoes either. I think you handled it well though.

Sarah said...

Whoaaa... I am impressed you were able to pick your jaw off the floor and answer at all. Goodness gracious! What is up with mean little old ladies like that???!

Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me said...

UNBELIEVABLE!!!! RUDE!

Kat said...

Ugh! Sometimes older ladies are the worst, when DH and I got married my grandma told me not to have kids right away and now she is asking me where are the kids 5 yrs. later. We gotta pray for that older lady!

Karey said...

We get that with just our three! It's crazy. And I never think fast enough on my feet to respond with something witty. I should think of something good to say now so I'm ready next time :)

Sew said...

I was just talking to a lady at the grocery store whose mother had 13 kids! I was like, Ohhhhh I want to meet her! Then she asked me, you do all that natural stuff.....LMBO I'm assuming she meant birth control. How do you explain the beauty of all that natural stuff when kids are bouncing off the walls and you are trying to get checked out. LOL

I told her, well God keeps promoting me and I haven't figured out why He trusts me so much with His babies. :)

Lena said...

Again, family planning or not planning is no one's business. And you're right, I bet that mother does love each of her children.

polkadot said...

Wow. She was awfully bold... I wonder what makes her so angry?

Not that the situation would happen again, but you can keep the comment you thought of later in mind ("I only wish I was so blessed...) for future encounters. I bet the mom of five appreciated your support.

Faith makes things possible said...

Kat-how frustrating! I think with the older generation (like me Gm at times even!) they feel
They can say whatever they want!

Faith makes things possible said...

AYWH: I'm with you-totally try and think of something witty now so if it ever happens again we'll be ready! Me more so to help out another mama to many little ones!

Faith makes things possible said...

SEW: I love that, "God keeps promoting you..."
That's awesome!!!

Faith makes things possible said...

LENA: exactly!!! What good does it do to say something anyways?'

Faith makes things possible said...

Polkadot: I am going to try and remember that because I've been around plenty really fertile women and those comments are bound to some up again!!

Catholic Mutt said...

SO many sad stories like that about people that do not appreciate the wonderful gift that children are!

All in His Perfect Timing said...

WOW! RUDE lady! I am glad you stood up for the woman with her children. When did people stop being tactful & polite & if they didn't have something nice to say, didn't say it at all??? That lady was old. Surely SHE remembers being taught manners. Sheesh!
I love your "I wish I was so blessed" response. Spot on!