background

Saturday, December 8, 2012

My non-IFer friend's post about our wait.

I'm in beautiful tears after reading the post one of my non-IFer friends wrote.

You see, we've shared our story about our struggle and although there are quite a few that know a little of what we have gone through, I definitely wonder just how much my non-IF friends understand.

Until tonight, when a friend who has three sweet babies, all under three, who has been married nearly as long as we have, wrote a post about me.

And our wait.

And I cried.
Because even though she may not understand the pain fully-the way you could only ever understand if you had walked the road of IF-she sees that through our struggle, all these moments leading up to meeting our sweet little one has us seeing things from a different perspective than say, someone who hasn't had to wait .

Now, instead of trying to explain, I'll simply post what she wrote...

I have a friend named J. I went to her baby shower today.

J has long blonde hair like Repunzel and big blue eyes. She received lots of gifts today at her shower: pacifiers, handmade bibs, diapers.

But she also has a very special gift -- an uncommon gift -- one that took a long time to create.

It's the gift of perspective.

You see, J and her husband have been trying to get pregnant for four and a half years -- since they were but newlyweds. They visited many doctors, said many prayers, shed many tears -- week after week, month after month.

And then one night, to her surprise, she saw for the first time in a half-decade, a pregnancy test that said: pregnant.

Pregnant.

For many of us who conceive babies fairly quickly, it's easy to take this miracle for granted. Sure, we think babies are a gift -- but J. She knows.

She knows how many little miraculous things have to come together just perfect at just the right time to make the miracle of life. She knows what it's like to wait. And wait. And wait some more. And she knows that really, it's not up to us anyway.

And so she delights. Unlike any pregnant woman I've ever met, she delights in every movement, every pound, every morning sickness, every milestone. And her baby girl who is soon to be here is named after the very thing that kept J and her husband going strong these past five years: Faith.

As her faith grew, her Faith now grows — and what a reminder to us all.

Every child is a miracle.

13 comments:

Lea said...

What a beautiful reflection your friend wrote. I have been following your blog for awhile and was very happy for you when you announced your pregnancy. I couldn't help but be moved by tears as I read this post. Like you, I waited for almost five years never once seeing a positive pregnancy test and then one month it appeared. I now have my almost two and a half miracle baby girl and I continue to give thanks for her every day. I wait again for a sibling for her and I try my hardest to keep my faith in God's plan as He has already shown me that His plans are far more beautiful than my own.

Ania said...

Wow goosebumps, what an AWESOME friend!

Donna said...

Wow!! What a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing it!

Laura said...

That's amazing. Thanks for sharing!

Catholic Mutt said...

What a beautiful post by your friend!

Amy @ This Cross I Embrace said...

I love when friends "get" it!

She's a keeper :)

January said...

That is so moving! I am glad you and she are friends!

Jenny said...

Now I'm crying. So wonderful!

polkadot said...

What a wonderful friend you have. :)

Rebecca said...

Wow. What a beautiful friend you have. So very few "others" get it, but she does and it warms my heart to see that not everyone is clueless. Gives me hope.

Being Refined said...

oh! How beautiful! That is so special when a friend "gets it"!

You are very blessed to have her as a friend.

Molly M. said...

Wow! Beautiful!

Faith makes things possible said...

Isn't it amazing? And of all people, a friend that I'm not super close to-yet, a friend rather in tune with others feelings. I still tear up reading it-and I've read it quite a bit!