background

Saturday, July 28, 2012

I always said I wouldn't be 'that woman'

In the years spent waiting, nearly every time I saw a pregnant woman who had her hands all over her belly I would think, "that's a little much..." and then I would probably roll my eyes.

Then I would think about how I would never be "that woman" constantly feeling her bump-no matter how big or small it was.

Sure, I would imagine that I would have my hands on my tummy every so often, but as much as I see these other mama's to be?

Not me.

Well, until we actually got pregnant and that sort of went out the door.


Now, I find myself with my hand on my belly without even realizing it.

I fall asleep with my hand there.
I wake up with it there.

And like I said, it's without even thinking about it.

I guess, there was that twinge of jealousy and bitterness seeing pregnant women with their hands on their bellies-like they were rubbing it in or something.

I'm realizing now though, that a lot of the times, it's without even thinking about it.

My hand simply goes there because my baby is there.

And I'm their mama and I want to protect them and love them already.



"Before you were conceived I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were here an hour I would die for you. This is the miracle of Mother's Love" [Maureen Hawkins]

13 comments:

Hebrews 11:1 said...

Love your bump, so cute!

mrsblondies said...

Cute bump! I think part of touching the bump has to do with the newness of the feeling (even for non-first time mothers) and that touching/rubbing your belly feels comfortable with the stretching skin.

Sarah said...

I totally relate. I used to think it was too much too. But it's hard not to put your hands there. And the bigger I've gotten, the more I do it. :) At 34 weeks, his movements are so strong that I absolutely can't resist... especially since they do respond to that touch even if others can't see that externally (and um, he's so big, I have nowhere else to put my hands really at this point haha). Enjoy every minute of this bonding time. :)

imusthaveprayedforpatience said...

Oh my gosh! I totally agree! That used to get on my nerves so bad! I truly felt like they were being ridiculous and that they were rubbing it in. I even had a sister in law that I swore was going to rub a hole right into her belly. Now that I'm pregnant, I find myself resting my hands there every now and then. ;)

Love your shirt! And, cute bump!

Megan L. said...

Yay!!! Totally adorable bump! So exciting! I think I'll be obsessed with touching my belly. Newness and protection.

Perfect Power in Weakness said...

You are so dang cute!! I used to say the same thing too! But once I had a growing belly, I couldn't not touch it! I did try not to do it in public much because I remember how it felt to see women doing that when I was IF. But I did rub it all day long when at home!!

Awaiting a Child of God:) said...

So true:) love it:)

Emily said...

I especially used to dislike the stereotypical gesture in movies, where the pregnant woman always has a hand on her belly as if they're trying to make sure no viewers forget that character is pregnant. But then I was carrying my first, and I found my hands were always there. It's always the same. Even when I'm resting another one of my children on the bump, my other hand will pat it as if to reassure the one inside that he's okay, even if he's being crowded a bit.

It's the most natural thing, really...to cradle and protect your child, and we yearn to do it with our hands and arms even as our body is doing it for us.

All in His Perfect Timing said...

Awww ... so sweet! Thanks for "the explanation" ... I don't know that I'll ever experience that miracle, so it is so nice to know some "behind the scenes" thoughts. :)
Super cute bump! :)

Ania said...

Super cute bump! I find myself doing it too. Love and protection, I agree with what the others said.

Angela said...

I think it's kind of instinctual to put your hand there...almost like you are protecting the baby. And super cute shirt! Where'd you get it?

Faith makes things possible said...

It's actually a dress I got from target on clearance quite a few months ago. It's perfect now though because since my bump isn't visible in a lot of things, you can see it in this! Good for measuring the growth!

Faith makes things possible said...

I'm glad y'all get what I mean-I really was hoping I didn't sound like some crazy lady! ;)